Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ivy Bridge HD4000 Linux Freeze

First thing I did after I received my new Ivy Bridge PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H and Intel Core i7 3770 was install the new Ubuntu 12.04.  All was fine for a while until the PC would freeze up, mouse not moving, ATL+CTRL+F1 not working, nothing!  This seemed to happen every-time semi heavy load was placed on the HD 4000 graphics processor on the i7 chip.  Something I found that really triggered this was browsing websites like Google maps or scrolling up and down on a page with lots of dynamic content in Firefox it is a guaranteed freeze.

After a bit of trail and error the solutions was found.  There seems to be a bug in the Linux Kernel 3.2.x.  Now after upgrading to Kernel 3.3.x the problem has disappeared!  Below are the steps to update the kernel in Ubuntu 12.04.

Please note I do not take any responsibility if this breaks things.  This worked for me and I am merely trying to help others.

At the time of writing this article the latest stable kernel is 3.3.6

The kernel can be found at kernel.ubuntu.com or you can just ignore this and copy and past the commands below to the terminal depending on you installation

For Ubuntu (i386 / 32-bit) run these commands
 cd /tmp && wget -O linux-headers-3.3.6-030300_3.3.6_all.deb http://goo.gl/zNlMy  
 sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.6-030300_3.3.6_all.deb  
 cd /tmp && wget -O linux-headers-3.3.6-generic_i386.deb http://goo.gl/TdBex  
 sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.6-generic_i386.deb  
 cd /tmp && wget -O linux-image-3.3.6-generic_i386.deb http://goo.gl/osZhw  
 sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.3.6-generic_i386.deb  

For Ubuntu (amd64 / 64-bit) run these commands
  cd /tmp && wget -O linux-headers-3.3.6-030300_3.3.6_all.deb http://goo.gl/zNlMy  
 sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.6-030300_3.3.6_all.deb  
 cd /tmp && wget -O linux-headers-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb http://goo.gl/Z9Ztt  
 sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb  
 cd /tmp && wget -O linux-image-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb http://goo.gl/jji3o  
 sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb 

Just reboot your system and done.

I you have any questions/problems please leave a comment and I will try to help

30 comments:

  1. I'm seeing the exact same problem on my 3770K. Will try this right away. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can update that the kernel update solved the problem for me as well. Been running 3 days now without any hiccups.

      Delete
  2. fixed things for me as well. 3770T but apart from that everything the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new kernel (3.3.6) seems to have fixed the problem for me also: ASUS P8 Z77-V + Intel 3770.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, the fix works perfectly for me too. I can't believe Ubuntu haven't released an update to fix this yet to be honest. It is an LTS release, but this bug could potentially affect most of the PCs sold this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. You are right! Ubuntu you SHOULD update kernel to fix this problem for Ivy Bridge users!!!

      Delete
  5. You're a star, brand new build with Asus P8 Z77-V LX and this was driving me nuts, fixed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tried the 3.4 kernel with my Asus P8Z77-I and 3770K and it fixed the problem. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still seeing the problem on 3.4.2... hoping for an answer! What version of mesa, xorg, et al are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just updated to the 3.3.6 kernel. Will report if this is fixed. i5 3570K | Asus P8z77

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good! It has been one week and early on I had a freeze where the mouse still worked but I could not click on anything and I could drop into the shell with a ctrl + alt + f1.

      Delete
  9. Is there a reference to the bug that has been fixed? It would be nice to know to pinpoint in which version it was exactly fixed and know more details on the bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure could be that 3.2 did not support the Ivy Bridge properly... But I have no idea

      Delete
  10. Thanks!. This worked for me: no freezes. 12.04, Linux dickens 3.3.6-030306-generic, Ivy Bridge i5-3450s

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot! 3.3.7 wasn't enough; 3.4.6 did the magic. i7-2630QM HD 3000.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will updating to kernel 3.5 solve the issue? Or only updating to kernel 3.3x will solve it? Any idea, guys?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just did this... no freeze yet however I keep losing my wireless connection... the ICON shows good strength but it drops..

    not sure if its related or not at this point.

    Linux 3.3.6-030306-generic #201205121335 SMP Sat May 12 17:36:12 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l

    I have a wifi so I will test it on that.... ive only been on the new kernel for about 30 mins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this keeps happening and was working perfectly before I would recommend trying a more up to date kernel than the one in this post.
      Start by trying v3.3.8-quantal

      Delete
    2. ok.. im on wire now.. but ill check when im home again..
      it did work with my WIFI though,... and the signal for my verizon modem is weak where I am.. I just dont recall it dropping like that before... ill check tonight.

      Delete
    3. still freeze free.. but wireless is still flaky
      I will try the latest kernel next.

      Delete
    4. i installed 3.3.8.. it changed my gnome desktop display a lil bit.
      even though my wireless was turned on, the wireless section was shaded out... other odd thing was my wireless mouse stopped working even though I could see it show up in syslog... deferred back to 3.3.6

      Delete
  14. Referred to this thread by http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1714875

    Debian 7.0
    Kernel and CPU Linux 3.4-trunk-amd64 on x86_64
    Processor information Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz

    I still see the issue on 3.4 =/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My i5 3570K machine with ubuntu 12.04 was freezing whenever I did something graphics intensive like google maps street view. I tried the method suggested here and upgraded the kernel, several versions up to 3.5 .
    Nothing helped. The error messages in the /var/log/kern.log were:

    " [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung"

    This led me to believe that it was an intel graphics driver problem, hence upgrading the kernel made sense.

    kern.log also had the suspicious line:
    " ioremap: invalid physical address a62401800000001
    WARNING: at /home/apw/COD/linux/arch/x86/mm/ioremap.c:83 __ioremap_caller+0x34f/0x390()"

    After a few days, I decided to test the ram sticks one by one (removed the rest from the motherboard and used the same slot for the remaining stick to rule out any motherboard socket issues), although together they had passed memtest86+. To my pleasant surprise, the freezes went away with all but one stick ( of the four Patriot 8GB enhanced latency 1600MHz sticks) . I have RMA'd that stick and am now waiting for the replacement. In the meantime the computer has been stable for the past five days. I spent a lot of time on troubleshooting this. At last I am happy that it is solved. Hope this helps someone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fixed my freeze problem. Thanks for posting.

    Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G1610 @ 2.60GHz × 2

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having the same issue on Kubuntu 13.04 kernel 3.8.0-25
    Can the same root issue cause problems even now? i7-3770 here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This issue has been resolved in newer versions of the Kernel 3.3.6 and higher. I am pretty sure 3.8.0 should work. You can always just try and update to 3.8.13

      Delete